Home Projects Project Data Sheet
|Loan Name||Power Grid Transmission (Sector) Project|
|Project Number||38492- 01|
|Source of Funding/Amount[Closed]||
|Sector/Subsector||Energy / Electricity Transmission and Distribution|
|Description||The objective of the Project is to help strengthen and develop India's national transmission grid, comprising 765 kV and 400 kV transmission lines and associated substations, to improve system reliability, facilitate interstate and interregional power transfers by removing transmission bottlenecks, reduce transmission losses, facilitate efficient utilization of existing and planned power plants, facilitate development of a national power trading market, and hence promote increased private sector participation through open access to the national transmission grid.|
|Outcome||Progress Toward Outcome|
|National transmission grid strengthened and expanded with transmission bottlenecks removed and losses reduced.||
1. Availability of transmission grid at 99% or greater by 2012 - in 2010, the availability of national grid is maintained at 99.55%.
2. Transmission losses in the range of 3-4% in 2006-07 - in 2010, the transmission losses are less than 4%.
Remarks - achieved the target.
|Outputs||Status of Implementation Progress (Outputs, Activities and Issues)|
1. Tamil Nadu I Grid Strengthened
2. Tamil Nadu II Grid Strengthened
3. Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, and Union Territory of Pondicherry Grid Strengthened
4. Grid Strengthening for Kerala I
5. Grid Strengthening for Kerala II
6. Northern Region System Strengthening Scheme V
7. Enhancement of Transmission Capacity in East-West Coridor of Northern Region
8. Western Region Strengthening Scheme VII
9. Procurement of Bulk Conductors and Insulators Subproject
1. Tamil Nadu Grid Strengthened - Subproject commissioned in June 2009.
2. Grid Strengthening for TN II - Subproject commissioned in September 2010.
3. Grid Strengthening of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh - Subproject commissioned in September 2010.
4. Grid Strengthening for Kerala I -
(a) Trinulveli-Edamon multicircuit (4 circuit) line completed in March 2010.
(b) 400 kV Edamon-Muvattupuzha line - Out of 438 towers, 109 foundations completed, 49 tower erection and 4 kms stringing completed.
Balance works expected to be completed progressively by March 2012.
5. Grid Strengthening for Kerala II -
Supply of Conductor/Insulators completed.
Out of 222 locations, 217 foundations completed, 150 tower erection and 8 kms stringing completed. Balance works expected to be completed by March 2012.
Muvatupuzha (New) and North Trichur substations: Works are under progress.
The subproject is expected to be completed progressively by March 2012.
6. Northern Region System Strengthening Scheme V - Subproject commissioned in March 2010.
7. Enhancement of Transmission Capacity (East/West) Corridor of NRS - Subproject commissioned in March 2010.
8. Western Region Strengthening Scheme VII - Subproject commissioned in October 2010.
9. Procurement of Bulk Conductors and Insulators - Supplies completed in March 2009.
- Additional bulk conductors - Supplies completed in March 2010.
|Summary of Environmental and Social Aspects|
The desk review indicated that the institutional arrangements for safeguards are required to be strengthened and the internal reporting and monitoring mechanisms are required to be streamlined.
the EA has been requested to develop documentation so as to prepare a time-bound Action Plan to improve the implementation of safeguards.
|Responsible ADB Officer||
K. Vallabha Rao
|Responsible ADB Department||
South Asia Department
|Responsible ADB Division||
Energy Division, SARD
|Concept Clearance||07 Mar 2004|
|Fact-finding||28 Jul 2004 to 18 Aug 2004|
|Appraisal||11 Oct 2004 to 13 Oct 2004|
|Board Approval||21 Dec 2004|
© 2008 Asian Development Bank
|Top of page|